GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred Mitchell and the Georgetown Fire Department wish to remind residents of important electrical safety tips this May.
Each May, the Electrical Safety Foundation International launches National Electrical Safety Month, a campaign to raise awareness about electrical safety.
“It’s far too easy to overlook the warning signs leading up to an electrical fire and we encourage residents to take the time to examine their devices and outlets,” Chief Mitchell said. “Keep an eye on your machines and appliances, and make sure they aren’t being misused or overused.”
The National Fire Protection Association offers the following Electrical Fire Safety Tips:
- Make sure all electrical work is done by a qualified electrician.
- When buying a new home or remodeling, have it inspected by someone qualified to do so.
- Don’t plug more than one heat-producing appliance into an outlet, like a space heater or toaster.
- Do not plug a major appliance, like a refrigerator, dryer, washer, stove or air conditioner, into an extension cord. These machines need to be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet.
- Consider having an advanced circuit breaker installed, which will shut off electricity when they detect a problem.
- Do not run electrical cords across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended to be used temporarily.
- Make sure you’re using a light bulb with the correct number of watts.
- The National Fire Protection Association also encourages people to call a qualified electrician if fuses blow frequently in the home, circuit breakers frequently trip, you have a tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance, wall outlets are warm or discolored, a burning or rubbery smell is coming from an appliance, flickering or dimming lights, or sparks coming from an outlet.
The National Fire Protection Association also has several tips for outdoor electrical safety:
- Use lighting and power tools that are meant to be used outdoors and have been listed by a qualified test laboratory.
- Store electrical tools inside and keep them away from children.
- Make sure the area around your electric meter and other electrical equipment is clear.
- Before turning on a light or using an extension cord, check it for damage. Replace damaged cords.
- Only use extension cords that are meant to be used outdoors and are listed by a qualified test laboratory.
Residents that have an electrical safety question or a concern can reach the Georgetown Fire Department at 978-352-5757.