GEORGETOWN – As community members prepare to turn their clocks back this weekend, Chief Fred Mitchell and the Georgetown Fire Department are reminding residents to test their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Daylight saving time begins Sunday, Nov. 4 at 2 a.m.
“Daylight saving serves as a great reminder for residents to not only change their clocks, but to change batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms,” Chief Mitchell said. “These devices ensure that during an emergency you will be alerted to a fire or an increase of carbon monoxide in your home, so it is vital that they are working correctly at all times.”
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that 46 percent of smoke alarms that failed to operate had missing, disconnected or dead batteries and roughly three out of every five fire deaths occur in homes with no working smoke alarms.
The Georgetown Fire Department asks that all business owners not only change the batteries in their clocks, smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, but also replace the batteries on wall mounted emergency lights and exit signs. All businesses have emergency backup lighting as a safety feature to provide temporary lighting in case of power failure.
In order to keep your home safe and prevent fires, Chief Mitchell recommends that residents follow safety tips outlined by NFPA:
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month using the test button. Replace alarms immediately if they don’t respond properly when tested.
- Replace batteries in smoke and CO alarms when you change your clocks.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they reach 10 years old. Replace CO detectors according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay in that spot until emergency personnel arrive.
For more information on smoke detector and CO alarm safety, visit the NFPA website or contact the Georgetown Fire Department at 978-352-5757.