Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Friday, Sept. 28, 2018
Contact: John Guilfoil
Georgetown Fire Department Extinguishes House Fire Caused By Lightning
GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred A. Mitchell Jr. reports that the Georgetown Fire Department extinguished a fire this week that ignited in a home’s kitchen following a lightning strike.
On Wednesday, Sept. 26, at approximately 11 p.m., the Georgetown Fire Department responded to a home on Elm Street for a report of smoke in the house.
Upon arrival, firefighters discovered a small kitchen fire in the area under the refrigerator in between the floor joists. After speaking with the homeowner, they determined that lightning had struck the home, causing the joists to ignite.
Crews quickly extinguished the blaze, and minimal damage occurred to the kitchen area.
The Groveland and Newbury Fire Departments also responded to the scene, while the West Newbury, Rowley, Boxford Fire Departments provided station coverage.
Firefighters cleared the scene around 1 a.m. No injuries were reported.