Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Georgetown Fire Reminds Residents to Properly Display House Numbers
GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred A. Mitchell Jr. and the Georgetown Fire Department would like to remind residents about the importance of properly displaying street numbers on homes and businesses.
“Every second counts in an emergency, and large, visible street numbers allow first responders to locate the property much faster,” Chief Mitchell said. “Please follow the guidelines provided and be sure to contact the fire department if you have any questions about properly displaying your house or business numbers.”
The Town of Georgetown issues the following requirements for street numbers:
- Display of numbers required. All houses, businesses and other principal buildings must clearly display street identification numbers to assist emergency, postal and delivery vehicles to locate specific properties in town.
- Numbers to be visible from the street. It is the responsibility of the owner to display house and building numbers so they are visible from the street.
- Display of numbers on post or mailbox. In the event that a house, business or principal building is not visible from the street, the number must be displayed on a post or mailbox in a way that is visible from the street.
- Height requirement. The numbers must be at least 3 inches tall.
In order to make street numbers more easily visible, the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services recommends the following:
- Make sure numbers are facing the street.
- Place numbers under lighting and with a contrasting background so they will be visible at night.
- If your driveway is long, post your house number on both sides of a mailbox or sign pole at the end of the driveway near the road.
- Be sure to trim trees and bushes that could be blocking street numbers.
Residents who have questions or concerns about the visibility of house or business street numbers should contact the Georgetown Fire Department at 978-352-5757.