Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Friday, July 14, 2017
Contact: John Guilfoil
Georgetown Fire Department Responds To Machine Fire
GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred A. Mitchell Jr. reports that the Georgetown Fire Department responded Thursday morning to a machine fire.
At 10:23 a.m., Thursday, July 13, Georgetown firefighters were dispatched to the Metaltronics manufacturing and warehouse building on East Main Street for a report of a machine fire. Upon their arrival, firefighters learned that a Metaltronics employee had extinguished the fire by the time they arrived on scene, but smoke remained inside the building. There were no injuries.
A preliminary investigation revealed that the fire was likely started by a spark from a processing machine that was drawn up into an exhaust pipe, causing a flash fire.
The Rowley and Newbury Fire Departments provided mutual aid at the scene, while a Groveland Fire Department engine provided station coverage.