Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018
Contact: John Guilfoil
Georgetown Fire Department Reminds Residents to Be Safe During Snow Storm
GEORGETOWN — During today’s winter storm, the Georgetown Fire Department reminds residents to stay indoors and follow several important safety tips.
The National Weather Service predicts:
- The region could see as much as 14 inches of snow.
- Wind gusts may reach as high as 49 mph and carry with it a windchill factor of 3 below zero.
- Driving conditions will likely be very poor. Significant reductions in visibility are possible with near white-out conditions for a time Thursday.
- Damage to trees and power lines is possible. Power outages may occur.
Friday will likely see a high temperature of 13 degrees and a low of 4 below zero. Saturday could be even colder with a high of 7 degrees and low of 9 below zero.
WEATHERING THE STORM
- The Police and Fire stations will be open throughout the storm. If you have an emergency, call 911.
- Avoid driving unless absolutely necessary. Give plows and sand/salt trucks the space they need to operate.
- Fully charge your cell phone, laptop and any other devices.
COLD CONTINUES ON
With this type of weather, frostbite and hypothermia are possible for those without proper protection from the cold. To stay safe, the Georgetown Fire Department ask that residents follow these tips from the MEMA:
- Minimize outdoor activities for the whole family, including pets.
- If outside, dress in several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight clothing instead of a single heavy layer. Outer garments should be tightly woven and water repellent. Wear a hat, mittens (not gloves) and sturdy waterproof boots to protect your extremities. Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs. •
- Be a good neighbor. Check with elderly or disabled relatives and neighbors to ensure their safety
- When utilizing alternate heating sources, such as an emergency generator, your fireplace, wood stove, coal stove or space heater, make sure they are properly ventilated and always operate a generator outdoors and away from your home. Improper heating devices can lead to dangerous carbon monoxide buildup in the home.
- If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, suspect a frozen pipe. Locate the area of the water pipe that might be frozen. Likely places include pipes running against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, or wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame devices. A blowtorch can make water in a frozen pipe boil and cause the pipe to explode. All open flames in homes present a serious fire danger, as well as a severe risk of exposure to lethal carbon monoxide.