Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Monday, Nov. 14, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Georgetown Fire Department Provides Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
GEORGETOWN — As residents prepare to gather with friends and family for Thanksgiving next week, Chief Fred Mitchell and the Georgetown Fire Department are providing the community with several important cooking safety tips.
“We want this Thanksgiving holiday to be a joyful one for all our residents,” Chief Mitchell said. “It is imperative that everyone who plans to cook for the holidays follows the safety tips provided and pays extra attention to what’s going on in the kitchen.”
According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, cooking was the leading cause of residential fire injuries in 2015, resulting in four civilian deaths, 80 civilian injuries, 30 firefighter injuries and an estimated $10 million in property damage.
To avoid tragedy this holiday season, Chief Mitchell recommends that residents follow several safety tips outlined by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:
- Stay in the kitchen when boiling, frying or broiling food.
- Use a timer when baking or roasting and never leave the house while the oven is on.
- Move anything that can catch fire — pot holders, towels, paper or plastic bags — away from your stove top.
- In the event that a fire occurs on a stove top, put a lid on the burner and turn off the heat.
- Keep doors closed and the appliance off if a fire happens in an oven, broiler or microwave.
- Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher on a grease fire. Water will only spread the fire and the force of the extinguisher can splash flaming grease out of the pan.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL to put out the flames. Run cool water on the burns or call 911 if the injury is serious.
- If the fire is not quickly snuffed out, leave the house and call the fire department.
- Keep children 3 feet away from the stove to prevent burns.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working prior to the holiday.
Additionally, the National Fire Protection Association discourages the use of turkey fryers, as the amount and high temperature of the oil used can cause serious burns and injuries, and result in the destruction of property.
Residents who would like more information on holiday cooking safety should contact the Georgetown Fire Department at 978-352-5757.