Rusty Ricker, Interim Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Saturday, Dec. 19, 2015
Contact: John Guilfoil
Georgetown Fire Department Provides Holiday Safety Tips to Residents
GEORGETOWN – As friends and families gather to celebrate the holidays, Chief Fred Mitchell Jr. and the Georgetown Fire Department are reminding residents to be aware of safety tips to ensure a joyous and fire-safe season this year.
“The holidays are a time of year when people get together to celebrate and this means more cooking, decorating and an increased risk for fires,” Chief Mitchell Jr. said. “We want all of our residents to be able to enjoy a safe and happy holiday this year, so please consider the safety tips provided and don’t hesitate to call the fire department with any questions or concerns.”
According to the National Fire Protection Association, two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles and nearly half of decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
In order to keep your home safe from fire during the holiday season this year, Chief Mitchell recommends residents consider the following safety tips outlined by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:
- Water fresh Christmas trees daily, and keep them away from heaters, fireplaces and candles.
- Turn off holiday lights when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Always blow out candles before leaving a room or going to sleep. Be sure to burn candles inside a one-foot “circle of safety”, free of anything that can catch fire.
- Never leave cooking unattended and keep a timer with you when baking. If a pan catches fire, put a lid on it to smother the flames and turn off the heat.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn like curtains, upholstery or holiday decorations.
- Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.
- Develop and practice a home fire escape plan with at least two ways out and a meeting place outdoors. In the event of a fire, get out and stay out of the house and call 911.
- Make sure all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are working.
- Use caution with extension cords. Don’t overload them and never put cords underneath rugs, as this can damage the cord and cause an electrical fire.
- If you or anyone in your family smokes, do so outside with a proper ash tray to dispose of cigarettes.
For more information on holiday safety tips, visit the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services’ website or contact the Georgetown Fire Department at 978-352-5757.